To those who know me, greetings. To those who don’t, welcome and greetings and don’t worry you soon will.
To all a belated Happy New Year, and here’s hoping it will be a peaceful but profitable one. May you get what you want, and want what you get!!.
My name is Rod Law, am a Life Member and Governor of the RNLI and have been since August 1974 having been rescued by the Brixham crew.
I must admit that even though I was Vice Chairman the thought of “stepping into Kevin’s shoes” was rather daunting.
What a brilliant job he has done leading the resurrected branch for 18 months up to the end of 2011. Unfortunately (for us)/fortunately (for him) business pressures prevented him giving the branch the time it requires. With him at the helm during 2011 we raised just short of £11k.Thanks Kevin and good luck. Needless to say we haven’t lost him completely and he has said he will come and shake (oops sorry!) hold a bucket occasionally.
With that £11k in my mind I’ve turned my attention in more detail to 2012. Most of Kevin’s “management team” are still in-situ (thankfully – for me) so we can push ahead with a full programme and try to beat 2011’s final figure. Anne (our treasurer) got us off to a good start by finalising 2011’s collection and round up all those bags of change. This was helped by a collection at Morrisons over the weekend 7th & 8th January. Just short of £1k collected…..brilliant.
Moving on. I am at present waiting to hear from, Waitrose, Costco, Frosts, Wyevale, Ikea and MK Dons with regard to collection permission.
We have booked Tescos (Kingston & Bletchley) on 19th & 20th May. Along with Dobbies Garden Centre 20th and 21st May.
For those with busy lives and planned diaries here are some more dates/events that I am dealing with.
I would like to do all of these, but a lot depends on the support that the committee gets from volunteers. (2011 was overstretched and tiring, but we managed).
- 08.03 Musical Evening at The White Horse Stony (Group/Fundraising + a night out)
- 29.04 MK Marathon (National RNLI flag waving event/ handing out water bottles)
- 12/13.05 Stoke Goldington Steam Rally
- 02/03.06 Bletchley Carnival
- 10.06 Folk on the Green..Stony.
- 16/17.06 Great Linford Waterside Festival.
- 24.06 Olney Duck & Raft Race
- 07.07 Newport Pagnell Parade & Carnival.
- August Bank Holiday w/end (exact dates tbc) Fayre in Stony.
- 08/09.09 Woburn Oyster Fair.
- 24.11 Newport Pagnell Christmas Lights.
- 25.11 Reindeer Run Woburn (A BIG National RNLI fundraising event)
- 01.12 Stony Stratford Christmas Lights
- tbc Woburn Christmas Lights
- tbc Dickens of a Christmas, Olney
Obviously there are other events still being formulated by their organisers. In addition to RNLI Flag day, we have our usual supermarket collections.
There is also a big event happening in MK Centre (not the usual Beach event this year) but this event is boat related.
I hope to find more events for our calendar, but should you know of any…..please let me know.
Once again, greetings and a big thank you. Together we CAN save lives.
Chairman – RNLI Milton Keynes